Sunday 10 October 2010

Baking Sunday

Following on from my last post about being an old lady I am currently sitting in the lounge wearing fleecy leopard print pjs trousers, a flowery vest top and a very fetching red and brown apron...or should I say pinny?  Pinny is more old ladyish I think, also it matches my oven gloves which I like....

Anyway I have been making a carrot cake.  I found a recipe for a cake on bbc good food website which I often use for recipes.  I ended up substituting half the ingredients for stuff that I had in the cupboards to save going back to the shops but I should think it's ok.
It's the first cake I've made with oil instead of butter, I don't know why, but this seems to be common with carrot cakes.  I will report back on the taste....it is cooling at the moment waiting for me to ice it with some icing made from satsuma juice and icing sugar...I would have used oranges but this was one of my substitutes!  One of my favourite things about carrot cake is the cream cheese frosting but I would have definitely had to go back to the shops for that, so the icing will have to do!

I am going to make a sunday roast later with chicken thighs.  I made this a couple of weeks ago and put the chicken on a grill over the roast potatoes so the fat dripped onto them.  They were delicious but very unhealthy I am sure!  I wish I didn't like cooking so much, I am going to make Mike and I ginormous at this rate!  Usually I make fairly healthy stuff, but the unhealthy stuff is so much tastier!

4 comments:

  1. It all sounds delicious Rose! You should be proud of yourself, you're such a good cook. You must take after your Granny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't apologise for liking to cook. It's something that we all have to do most days so if you like doing it, so much the better. I'm getting to like it a bit more now that I only have myself to cook for - I can do whatever I like, not just what other people like. Tonight is roast potatoes, roast squash (from your mum) red pepper and onions, roast sausages and brussel sprouts. My tummy is rumbling now! Tomorrow I'm going to have all the leftovers with pasta and tomato sauce. Can't wait!

    (sorry, I made some spelling mistakes first time round so deleted and started again!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have been trying to comment on here since yesterday but it wasnt working for some reason?
    anyway...
    mum - i take after my mother of course!
    Nicky - your dinner sounds lovely, brussels sprouts of one of my favourite veg. Also i started liking to cook and doing it more when i moved in on my own and had total control of the kitchen so i know what you mean!

    ReplyDelete