Monday 20 September 2010

Snap, Crackle ...Pop?

I think I only have 2 readers and you both probably know anyway, Mum you do for definite!  But I ran my 10 miles on Saturday...with a slight hangover and after a fry up (not so healthy eh).

I took a route which goes down a cycle path in my village and comes out on the seafront, then went up to the tip of Mumbles and up a steep hill to the "Big Apple" (local landmark) which is where I turned around. 
5 miles there and 5 miles back.  I had a minutes breather at the top before setting off again, and stopped for a drink from the tap in some public toilets about half a mile later.  Stupidly I hadn't taken any water when I should have done for that length run.

Anyway then I ran back and by mile 8.5 it had gotten very hard!  I was back on the cycle path sloping gently up towards the village and walked/ran the last mile and a half.  The last half a mile was 2 hills with a main road in between urgh.
As this was my first long run and I was slightly hungover surely it can only get easier??  With more training and no hangover next time it can only get better....surely?

Desperately need my proper running shoes now though, the ones I am using not only give me blisters but they are so uncushioned and unsupportive and I have only noticed that on the long run. 
My ankles were aching afterwards and my achilles made a clicking noise when I stretched...yuk!  Apparently that is when your tendon pops out of place/back into place or something, it doesn't hurt but I am still abit wary about doing a long run again without proper supportive shoes. 

2 comments:

  1. I sincerely hope you are doing stretching exercises before and after your runs? Aside from that, you know that I think you did very well! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Rose. What an achivement, but I think you should definitely look at getting new shoes. A popping noise from anywhere is never a good sign (unless it's your ears when you go in a plane!)

    ReplyDelete